Monday, September 17, 2012

Plastic Horizons


In his Plastic Planet, Werner Boote illustrates how plastic products have become essential in our everyday lives despite recent proof of its toxicity. I believed this subject deserved to be treated and I was impatient to see how Boote had addressed it in his documentary.  

At the beginning of his film, W. Boote captivated me as he described the history of plastics and the role they now played in the world trade. These first minutes are practically unmarked by his personal biases and are charged with information. Unfortunately, the director seems to quickly change the structure of his documentary in its second half.

Quickly, Boote depicts all plastic-based products as the burden of society and an overwhelming threat to global health. His narration is characterized by one-sided comments such as “Plastic: the invisible danger.” At the same time, W. Boote only provides short insights of experiments conducted by independent researchers on plastic’s toxicity. In fact, most arguments in Plastic Planet are illustrated superficially. Scenes such as the short shots of a plastic-mummification company leave viewers disappointed and confused.
 
Though he might be facing convincing evidence that proves his theory, I think Werner Boote didn’t make the most convincing choice. I suspect an objective film presenting the tests conducted by both parties would have better supported his claims.

Among the documentaries we have seen so far, Werner Boote's Plastic Planet disappointed me the most. At first I was fascinated by the focus of the film, the importance and potential threats of plastics in our consumer societies. However, Boote’s attitude and his superficial presentation of certain arguments left me disappointed.
  



If you would like to experience another perspective on the affects of plastic waste in the world, I recommend Waste Land. This documentary is an account of visual artist Vik Muniz’s work with pickers in the world’s largest landfill in Brazil. Waste Land brings a humanitarian dimension to Werner Boote’s theme.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I agree that Boote could have made his argument more valid. This issue is one that the public should know about. Personally, I would have liked to see the plastic company's side and information but, sadly, he did not have access to that resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you began viewing the documentary with an open mind, willing to learn. You took a very fair approach to Plastic Planet, though you were disappointed. I thought you articulately expressed why what you witnessed fell short of your expectations. I agree that Boote's perspective was limited to his opinions and perhaps it would have made more of an impression had he provided statistics and information from the opposing side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I have trouble enjoying films that are blatantly biased, such as Plastic Planet. I, too, thought the film had really great potential but left me feeling uninspired. I wasn't very convinced by the science he presented. Maybe it was the animation, or maybe it was just the undeniable bias that he didn't try and hide. I found myself craving a more satisfying, well-rounded documentary, so maybe I'll have to check Waste Land out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete