Thursday, September 27, 2012

Koyaanisqatsi and Naqoyqatsi

Koyaanisqatsi and Naqoyqatsi left me both confused and intrigued. I quickly wondered how Godfrey Reggio had come up with the idea of filming the Qatsi trilogy. Was the director just talented at hiding his agenda? Or did he have the ideal of creating art for art’s sake in mind? These questions led me to look up interviews of Reggio in an attempt to understand his motivations.

I found an interview of Godfrey Reggio and Philip Glass on the making of the Qatsi films. The director provides an insight into the purpose he tried to give to his trilogy.




Right away, Godfrey Reggio states: “These films are meant to provoke, they are meant to offer an experience rather than an idea or information or a story about knowable or fictional subject.” The director explains that the viewer has to extract his or her own meaning from the film. The Qatsi documentaries seek not to spark off a particular emotion but rather to allow the spectator to make sense of the images for herself.

Reggio also explains his will to go “beyond words” by his years of meditation in a religious community. He attempted to create an experience that would make the spectator see through the “surface of things”. Godfrey Reggio explains that today, people who live in this world do not see the main event that it hides. He believes the most important event of human history is currently unfolding: the passage from life among nature to life in a “technological milieu”. The director says that we no longer live with technology but are now living in technology. He seeks to make his viewer question his current lifestyle in order to assert this claim. In Koyaanisqatsi, a city is compared to a computer chip; traffic is filmed and accelerated.

When I first viewed Koyaanisqatsi and Naqoyqatsi, I was frustrated in my attempt to understand what Godfrey Reggio sought to show his viewers. This video about the making of the trilogy has answered my question. I found it almost more interesting than the documentaries themselves, perhaps because Reggio’s claims are explicitly expressed. I strongly recommend watching the whole interview if you were confused by the Qatsi films.


3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you posted that video of the interview and talked about because I had a lot of the same questions that you did. I now somewhat understand why he made the film the way he did and that's just the style that he was trying to go for...even though it doesn't agree with some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This goes to show the weakness of the film. If I watch the movie, and I have to go and do homework to understand it, then the film has utterly failed. Research of a film should enhance your understanding of it, but the film needs to provide some basis of comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that you posted this interview. I completely agree with you that Reggio's commentary is arguably more interesting than the films themselves. I too was frustrated, and the interview cleared some things up for me.

    ReplyDelete